Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Season Three

Dear Princess Twilight...

Now that feels a bit odd to write. ;) So, Twilight Sparkle has achieved her destiny, becoming an alicorn princess. Yay! In comparison, her friends kind of got shafted, huh? Twilight gets to be an alicorn, which is part unicorn, part pegasi, part Earth(?), so basically the best of everything, plus she was already awesome with magic, meanwhile her friends' destinies include taking care of animals, supervising weather, making clothes, helping to run a farm, and making sure everypony is entertained. I think Twilight definitely came out on top here.
There were some memorable new characters this season. Babs Seed was tragic and cute, Lightning Dust was awesome and got screwed over, Mustangia Mustang was a little eccentric,  I would have liked to see more of Ms. Harshwhinny, King Sombra has an interesting backstory and seems like we'll be seeing him in the future, and we got to see a ton of Apple family members. I think that was everypony that was new, not counting background type ponies like Rainbow's/Dust's Academy class etc.

My top 5 characters, in no particular order:

Rainbow Dash
 
 
Rainbow Dash really impressed me this season, she had a 'time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta gum' kind of attitude going on. She was my favorite character for most of  this season, losing out to Twilight in the end, but it was really close. She was really zealous about saving the Crystal Empire/helping Twilight and then later gave it her best to try and secure the Equestria Games for them. She had the courage to tell Spitfire off, even if it meant abandoning her lifelong dream of joining the Wonderbolts. (Luckily it worked out for her in the end) She was the only thing I enjoyed in that crappy Discord episode. And, perhaps most importantly, she took Scootaloo under her wing, giving her the big sister she's longed for and a chance to hang out with her personal hero. 
 
She did have some 'negative' moments though: Being oblivious that the one 'sad' Pinkie might have been the real one (and dropping her hard to the ground). Going all out in the joust against Fluttershy, seeing she was crying and essentially telling her to get the hell back up so she can knock her down again. Unfortunately, they brought the PoS pet they stuck her with back, and made her show affection to it despite it being the biggest piece of shit there is.
 
Trixie
 

Trixie came back, and in a big way. I loved her the first time around, and she was pretty awesome the second coming. Unfortunately we don't really know how much her magic skills improved since she was using a cursed Alicorn Amulet to enhance her power, but she was performing some kick ass magic regardless. After she was freed from the amulet's grip, she even came back to ask Twilight for forgiveness and added some flash to Twilight's bland show. Once more, she left in a cloud of smoke. Hopefully next time we see her she will be Twilight's friend, and I can't wait to see her reaction if she sees Alicorn Princess Twilight.
 
Lightning Dust
 
 
 Lightning Dust was committed to becoming a Wonderbolt and was trying to get things done fastest with the mostest possible. Her solution to most problems was to fly faster and harder, and sometimes a tornado, which is why I like her.
 
Scootaloo



Scootaloo cemented her status as my favorite Crusader this season. She got a spotlight episode, and overcame her fears, the result of which resulted in her getting to bond with Rainbow Dash. She was also the high note of Just For Sidekicks. We got to see some more of her awesome scooter skills, including while she was passed out. She is pretty badass.
 I look forward to seeing Rainbow Dash/Scootaloo episode(s) in the future.


Twilight Sparkle


Twilight has consistently impressed me throughout the show, ranking as my overall favorite character (although to be fair I had to choose from a magic wielder), but she has certainly earned a place in my heart, as silly as that sounds to write.  This season was about her fulfilling her destiny, and the way she did so just makes me love her more. Not only did she write her own magic, she also proved what an awesome friend and person/pony she is. As Celsetia said, she is an inspiration for us all, and we can all learn from her. :)

Thoughts on other characters from this season:

Pinkie Pie: Pinkie is always hit or miss, she started out pretty strong, I really liked her interaction with Rainbow pre-clone invasion in Too Many Pinkie Pies, it was super sweet how she got an inflatable boat thingy so Rainbow could relax and she could have fun pushing her around. Unfortunately that love for Rainbow turned a tad obnoxious in Wonderbolts Academy, so alas, she sunk to the bottom.
Princess Luna: She's still pretty cool, but they took away her cute way of speaking with thee, thou, etc. I really liked that part, so unfortunately that wounded my fondness for her a bit. We did get to see her and her sister use some badass magic in TCE, and she showed us she has dream walking magic in SIP.
Rarity: I thought her having Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo pull the cart was kind of messed up, but overall she was pretty good. Had she actually had a spotlight episode, and depending on the quality of the episode, she would be on my list for sure. I really liked her in Magical Mystery Cure.
Mi Amore Cadenza: My old favorite, unfortunately the Cadenza we have now is not the 'evil' Cadenza, and she didn't really get too much opportunity to shine except for in the first episodes. If Games Ponies Play had been about her and Rarity... <3
Fluttershy: KCAFO ruined whatever this character had going for her this season, garbage episode with garbage behavior from Fluttershy.
Applejack: Applejack was kind of meandering about, from her lieutenant role in TCE to Pinkie-esque stupidity in OBA regarding her cousin's bullying issues. She was alright overall I reckon, and had a cute song in Raise This Barn.
Daring Do: Alas, we didn't get any more Daring Do action, but we did at least get to see her again this season/Rainbow is still reading her books. Unfortunately it was the very first book we saw her in, but hey, at least they threw it in there.
Cutie Mark Crusaders: Another season, no cutie marks. We even got a measurement of time in Apple Family Reunion, which turned out to be about 2 years or more having passed since the first episode. Hopefully next season they finally get what they desire. (Although I kind of hope they do something cool with it, or make it be not what we expect i.e. scooter, singing, etc.) They also have expanded past Ponyville and have at least 3 other members in Manehattan.
Babs Seed: I really liked Babs and I was tempted to make Scootaloo be Crusaders on my list to include her as well. Hopefully we get to see her and the Manehattan Crusaders in the future.


Hmm, for the other seasons I did a top 10 episodes list, seems awkward to do one here since there were only 13. I did like almost all of the episodes this season, too, with only one that really stood out as god awful.

My top 5 episodes, in no particular order:
  • Sleepless in Ponyville
  • Magic Duel
  • Wonderbolts Academy
  • The Crystal Empire
  • Magical Mystery Cure
Seems to be a trend here, once again there was only one episode out of the batch that I disliked: Keep Calm and Flutter On. I don't know if it was really that bad, but the experience I had watching it has soured it for me and just thinking about it is enough to annoy me.

No comments:

Post a Comment