Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1 (Revisited)

As you may or may not know, my very first episode here was A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1. This episode made my top 10 season 2 episode list, it made my top 10 overall episode list, a character from it made the top 5 character list in season 2, the top 5 character list overall, and the song(s) from it made my top 5 songs.
I haven't re-watched it since that first night over a month ago (Which in hindsight, perhaps I should have to make sure it is worthy of top 10 lists), but did so today.
I definitely love this episode.
 
I've seen that some of the fans dislike it for having Shining Armor and Cadence 'come out of nowhere,' which I guess they did, but if you aren't moved by the BBBFF song(s) or love the 'evil' Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, as I do, then I suppose you wouldn't like those characters, or this episode. It does raise a good point about Twilight having never mentioned this badass brother of hers at all, though. Especially since he was the 'one colt she cared about' and the only one she considered a friend in Canterlot.
Also, if you don't like Twilight Worth's antics, you probably will also dislike it, as this is definitely Twilight at one of her best-worsts.
For me though, this is definitely one of my favorites. Dare I say, I may have been rash in making Part 2 my overall favorite, as re-watching Part 1 has left a strong impression on me. When I first watched it, I was going in thinking Rainbow Dash or Rarity was going to be awesome, I didn't really care for Twilight and openly mocked her plights and delighted in her rage. Now, after hours of the show under my belt and having selected her as my favorite character, I look on my early criticism of her with bemusement, and the Big Brother Best Friend Forever songs nearly brought a tear to the eye of this jaded soul.
It is almost exclusively focused on Twilight Sparkle. Which for me is awesome, since as mentioned, she is my favorite character.  It also features Princess Mi Amore Cadenza reigning 'evilly' as Twilight tries in vain to get any other pony to see Cadence the way she does.
This episode definitely deserves it's place among my top 10. Magic. 'Evil' Cadence. Twilight rage. Twilight tearjerker moments. If only This Day Aria was also in this episode. =]
As I re-watched it, I took more pics, as I didn't think my original handful really did justice to an episode in my top 10. It ended up being a ton of pictures, possibly making this the current record holder. I also added some additional commentary, while trying to keep in spirit of the original, ie not using knowledge gleaned from outside the episode, and the majority of the original commentary is intact. Feel free to check it out over yonder if you want any particular screenshots from it, as I likely have all the 'good' ones. =]
Well, I know my readers love Fluttershy, so I just went and grabbed a Bridesmaid Fluttershy pic just for you all. =] Gotta give the people what they want, and, by almost all accounts, what they want is Fluttershy!

No comments:

Post a Comment