Thursday, August 16, 2012

Hearth's Warming Eve (Revisited)

I re-watched another one of my top 10 episodes, tonight was Hearth's Warming Eve.
I would have to say it deserves its place on my overall top 10.  I like history in general, and this episode is a quasi-historical look at what had to have been the Ponyverse over 1,000 years ago or so. I really like this concept, and hope there are similar episodes in the future. =]
About the only bad things I can think about it would be: We don't really get closure on what happened to that crisis. Did they all just move to Equestria, did they defeat the windigos and reclaim their homes?
The flag shown to represent Equestria shows Luna and Celestia on it, yet the Unicorns were handling the day-night cycles on their own. The most logical answer is probably that they showed the modern day Equestrian banner, since it cut away from the pseudo-flashback and into the modern day play at that point. An episode going more in-depth on Celestia and Luna in the past would be good though. =]
As fun as it was to see the 'mane 6' acting out these roles they seemed born to play, it would have been nice to see the actual ponies they were playing. A shot of a carol book with Clover etc. on the cover or in the pages, something like that. Especially if they are supposed to be the descendents of these Founding Mares, I could be wrong, but it sort of seems like they are.
Other than those mostly minor details (which don't really detract from the episode anyway), I really like this episode. It's got a good bit of magic, including having magic be the dernier cri at the end. We got to see Rarity looking like the princess she dreams of being and Rainbow in ancient pegasi battle armor. Also, it's the Ponyverse's Christmas, what's not to love?
Like my revisited A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1, this episode also received a boat load of new images and some updated commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment