Saturday, August 18, 2012

Mysterious Mare Do Well (Revisited)

This episode made my Season 2 top 10, but not the overall top 10, and was the fourth episode I watched.
I like Rainbow Dash, as evidenced by her making my season 1 and 2 top 5 lists and the overall top 5. In retrospect, she is kind of douchey in this episode, getting really upset when she loses the community's accolades to Mare Do Well, but she was at least trying to help ponies.

 
This episode was pretty good. Not only did it primarily feature Rainbow Dash and reveal she has her own fan club, it also had some pretty impressive uses of magic in Twilight Do Well repairing the dam.
Like Boast Busters was for Twilight, this episode delivered some heart-breaking lines for Rainbow Dash. "But... then... why am I all alone? I hate being all alone." and "I don't understand. Why? Don't you want me to be a hero?" =[
 
It is kind of messed up how every single one of her friends conspires to work against Rainbow. Even her own fan club ends up leaving her to support Mare Do Well. The town even set up a parade for Mare Do Well and not her, although to be fair Mare Do Well did save more people than Rainbow, especially by fixing the dam.
 
About the only complaint I have about this episode was, and is: what happens after the episode ends? We never see them saving the random ponies, never see Mare Do Well costumes again, I don't think we even see Rainbow saving anyone. This episode, and others, show that Ponyville is place full of danger, so did they just leave them all to 'handle it on their own'? I'm also curious if Mare Do Well's secret identities got leaked to every pony, or just to Rainbow.
Considering Twilight and co. were doing it just to teach Rainbow a lesson, I wouldn't be surprised if they just abandoned their Mare Do Well roles after they guilted Rainbow into changing her ways. Oh, damn, I just realized this was basically Boast Busters except Rainbow was the victim. I felt sympathetic for Trixie, and Rainbow, but this one didn't rub me the wrong way like Trixie's Ponyville Screwjob. =]
Anyways, I forget why this one didn't make the overall top 10, but it is a pretty entertaining episode I think, as Rainbow rants and rages over Mare Do Well beating her in anything she does. Like my other 'revisited' episodes, this one also features a little bit of enhanced commentary, and 7 times the images of the original post. =] 

No comments:

Post a Comment