Monday, August 20, 2012

A Canterlot Wedding - Part 2 (Revisited)

I was meaning to re-watch this episode sooner, but kept putting it off and finally got around to it just now. I re-watched Read it and Weep, and was all hyped up for Daring Do and questioning whether that should take the place of my favorite, which forced my hand.
This episode was one of my tops for Season 2 and was rated my overall favorite. It also features my lovely Princess Mi Amore Cadenza in all her 'evil' glory, for a while. I'm really torn, because Read it and Weep/Daring Do is awesome, but I really like this episode too. I'm not sure if I can choose between them, they both excel at certain aspects. ACW 2 is sweet and heart warming with a little bit of malevolence from Cadenza thrown in, RiaW is badass and full of moxie. Eh, it's a really tough call. I feel like Homer trying to choose between Man Getting Hit By Football and Pukahontas.
I don't really have any complaints about this episode. It would have been better if Cadenza really was Cadence, and she just changed as she got older. Oh, I'm probably just saying that because I really liked the 'evil' Princess Mi Amore Cadenza attitude. =] The Changelings thing works as it's unexpected, but does raise a lot of questions as to why no one detected her and how long had she been infiltrating as Cadenza.
As mentioned, this episode is really sweet. Who doesn't feel bad when Cadence is in tears, knowing she may lose the love of her life? It also has some good Twilight Rage moments, and, most importantly, This Day Aria! Perfect.
This episode also has a fair amount of magic usage. We see Twilight blasting people with energy bolts, even Celestia herself gets some magic usage in, although she gets whooped.  Oh, almost forgot, the dernier cri of course is a love magic enhanced magical blast that saves the day.
Does it deserve to be my number 1 favorite? I would say so. Does it have insanely strong competition? Indeed it does. Will it get knocked out of #1? Perhaps, I really like Daring Do, and that episode or Part 1 of the Wedding would likely be the fiercest competitors. The art or whatever for this episode also seems particularly well done, as seen in the below:
As with all the other 'revisited' episodes, this one features enhanced commentary and images. I'm not sure how many it had originally, as I was using a clunky naming system, but it has over 100 now, as it should be for one of my favorites. =] The original commentary is mostly intact as well, I tried not to change too much since this was the second episode I had watched. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment